Skip to main content

DIY Chicken Coop Remodel

     Who doesn't love fresh eggs these days? When we started our homestead we had our own chickens but had to get rid of them last summer.  Of course we missed having fresh breakfast but we also missed having our ladies (that's what we call them) around. But before we could get new chicks we needed a new chicken coop because we weren't able to keep them in the same location.  I'm not sure if you've seen the price of new coops but this Mama keeps her purse strings tight and I wasn't about to fork out that much cash.  So our plan was to build our own coop, that was until I was scrolling Facebook's marketplace.  Not sure who else scans FB marketplace for useful free items but this homestead Mama loves the free stuff.  Back to my story, I came across a free chicken coop that looked promising. Then the hard part convincing the hubby that we needed to stop what we were doing to run into town and pick it up. He was actually easily convinced and we all jumped in the truck and chucked the poop house I mean chicken coop into the truck.

     Once we got it home Mr. Homestead gave it a once over and came to the conclusion that the frame was sturdy we just needed to replace the plywood.  After getting the poop off Mr. Homestead detached the top from the bottom part to make it easier to work with.

Layers and layers of poop.

Now the remodel can commence.

     Next up was stripping the coop of the plywood that was warped and coming apart. Once Mr. Homestead measured how much plywood we would need we made a trip to our local Lowe's store.  To make the rebuild easier Papa took the sides of the coop off gently to keep them in one piece so we could use them as a template. Papa made templates of all the plywood pieces which included all the front and back pieces.

I can't even count how many times we moved this.

Like kindergarten class trace and cut.

     After some easy tracing and cutting the fun part could start for me and the kids, painting. To spend even less money we headed down to a couple different stores with paint departments to find a cheap discounted mis-colored gallon of paint. I was able to find the color I had my heart set on, barn red.  With some paint brushes and rollers in hand the kids and I were set to go.  While the coop went from green to red Mr. Homestead added another nesting box to the coop because it only had one originally. The last part was fixing the chicken wire on the lower part then it was ready for it's new homeowners.  

My little artists painting away.

    We had already figured out where we wanted to relocate the chicks to so next it was just loading up the two pieces and leveling out a spot.  We placed them under a plum tree because one we figured they'd love it when those dropped off the tree and two to help keep them somewhat hidden from any predators.  We also added a little detail to the nesting boxes doors by adding the "X" trim to it. I would suggest painting the doors red and painting the trim separately before nailing it into place.  I made the mistake of not deciding on the color contrast until it was stapled on and it made for painting with tiny water coloring paint brushes. Even though it took extra time I absolutely love how it turned out and I'm sure the ladies appreciate it.  

The Breakfast Barn

     The ladies have moved in and are making themselves cozy.  With just some elbow grease from the homestead crew and less than $100 we have a new coop.  Our ladies are happy and now we just sit back and wait for the first egg.  One of the questions we get all with all the projects we do around the property is how we do it having kids? The answer; we involve them in some aspect, by letting them splash some color around or we simply bring them alongside us and let them play near by.  I know that there are people who don't think their kids can help or are afraid they'll get hurt but you just let them be kids and find appropriate tasks for them.  The kiddos loved helping us with this project and we spent time together doing it which is the best part of it. If you have any questions leave them in the comments and I'd love to hear about your current DIY project. Heading out for some self care and having spending some time with a girlfriend while our kiddos play, talk to you soon.

Angelina White 
Homestead Mama


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

    Since today is Thanksgiving the holiday for acknowledging what we're thankful for, I knew I needed to make a post dedicated to all our supporters. So here it is a letter to each and everyone out there following us on this journey. Dear Family, Friends, and Supporters of Every Type      I'm writing this because I recently did a story on Instagram and I tried tagging all the people who have supported us and mean so much to us. But as soon as I added it I knew there were so many that I hadn't mentioned or wasn't able to tag.  There are some people who aren't on social media, I'm not sure what they do all day. How do they pass the minutes while taking in their morning coffee, who knows. Moving on, I now know how all those Oscar, Grammy and CMA winners must feel when they win and have to thank everyone in about 10 seconds. Anyhoo...      Thank you to everyone who follows us on Instagram and Facebook. Thank you to all who have taken the time out o

Dehydrating, We Might be Addicts

     One of my hobbies that I enjoy most and my family gets to reap the rewards of is canning.  It all started when a family friend showed us how to make pickles, they were so crisp, tasty and some were even spicy.  Once we were settled in our own place I took a free intro class into canning at our local extension office and was hooked.  I haven't done as much as I'd like to but one day I hope to can so much that the hubby has to build me a new room for all my treats.  We were lucky enough to have someone give us a dehydrator a while back but we never did anything with it ourselves besides the one time we pulled it out for jerky.  Just in the last few months I've seen pineapples for a whopping .99 cents what a deal.  Being a canner when I see massive amounts of fruit or vegetables for cheap I wonder how I could preserve them.  It's kind of like hoarding but the good kind, right?  When I missed out on that good deal on pineapples I said to myself the next time they'

Gift Guide for the Non Sports Fan Man

     With Christmas shopping in full swing I wanted to help out those ladies that are struggling to find the perfect gift for the man in their life, be it a husband, boyfriend, or father. But this list isn't for the typical man who loves or plays sports, it's for the tiny percentage of them out there that don't partake in the sports world. Or maybe your fella does love sports but you want to get him something different this year, look no further I've got you covered.      Mr. Homestead isn't a sports fan which isn't common but I think there's more men like him out there than we realize and it makes it a bit harder to shop for him.  He's a fan of working with his hands in the garage, whether it's fabricating or working under the hood of a truck.  Ever since the first Christmas we shared it's been difficult for me to shop for him although now that we've been together for 14 years it's gotten a lot easier. In those 14 years I've search